If you’re looking to paint your kitchen cabinets, you may be wondering what type of paint to use. There are two main types of cabinet paints: lacquer and latex. Both have their own advantages and disadvantages, so it can be tough to decide which is the best option for you.
Before you begin any kitchen cabinet painting project, though, it’s highly recommended that you hire a professional painting company to do the job for you. They will use the right paint for your cabinets and ensure the final product looks professional and high-quality.
In this blog post, we’ll take a closer look at both types of paint and help you decide which is the right choice for your kitchen cabinet painting project!
Lacquer Paint for Kitchen Cabinets
Lacquer paint is a fast-drying, durable paint that is made with synthetic resins. This can be a major advantage if you’re working on a large painting project and need to get it done quickly. It’s typically used on wood surfaces, and it can be either water-based or oil-based. Lacquer paints are known for their high gloss finish and their ability to resist scratches and stains. In addition, they have full coverage, so the wood or grain pattern will not be visible from underneath the paint.
Advantages of Lacquer Paints
- Lacquer cabinet paint dries very quickly, so you can usually finish a project in just a few days.
- It’s also very durable, so it’s a good choice if you have kids or pets who might be rough on your cabinets.
- Lacquer cabinet paint is very resistant to scratches and stains.
- Lacquer cabinet paint can give your cabinets a high-gloss finish that will make them look brand new.
- Lacquer cabinet paint is relatively easy to apply.
- Lacquer cabinet paint is waterproof
Disadvantages of Lacquer Paints
- Lacquer cabinet paint can be tricky to work with because it dries so quickly. If you’re not careful, you can end up with a streaky or uneven finish.
- It’s also one of the more expensive cabinet paints, so it might not be the best choice if you’re on a budget.
- Lacquer cabinet paint also has a strong odour, so you’ll need to make sure you have good ventilation in your work area.
- Lacquer cabinet paint can be toxic, so you’ll need to take precautions if you’re pregnant or have small children.
Latex Paint for Kitchen Cabinets
Latex paint is another option for cabinet painting. It’s typically used on wood or metal surfaces, and it can be either oil-based or water-based. Latex paint is made with synthetic resins like plastic, acrylic, or polyvinyl to help it adhere better. Latex cabinet paints have a low-gloss finish and they’re not as durable as lacquer paints. However, they are much easier to work with compared to lacquer paints.
Advantages of Latex Paints
- Latex cabinet paint is much easier to work with than lacquer paint, so it’s a good choice if you’re not an experienced painter.
- It’s also less expensive than lacquer paint, so it’s a good choice if you’re on a budget.
- Latex cabinet paint has a much milder odour than lacquer paint, so you won’t need to worry about ventilation as much.
- Latex cabinet paint is non-toxic, so it’s a safer choice if you’re pregnant or have small children.
- Latex cabinet paint is also available in a wide range of colours, so you can easily find the perfect shade for your kitchen.
Disadvantages of Latex Paints
- Latex cabinet paint doesn’t dry as quickly as lacquer paint, so you’ll need to be patient when waiting for it to dry.
- It’s also not as durable as lacquer cabinet paint, so it’s not the best choice if you have kids or pets who might be rough on your cabinets.
- Latex cabinet paint is also more likely to chip and peel over time, so it’s not the best choice if you’re looking for a long-lasting finish.
- Latex cabinet paint can also be tricky to apply, so you might need to hire a professional if you want a perfect finish.
- Latex cabinet paint is not waterproof
So, which cabinet paint is the best choice for you? It really depends on your individual needs and preferences. Regardless of which paint option you choose, it’s important to understand that painting your own kitchen cabinets may not be your best option. Sure, it could save you some money but it could also be setting you up for headaches down the line. Hiring a professional painting company is a better option because you’re guaranteed to get a higher quality, professional-looking finish.
Looking for a Kitchen Cabinet Painting Contractor in Vaughan?
At Booth7, our kitchen cabinet painting experts are always up for a challenge. We will uninstall your cabinets, take them to our facility, prepare them, and repaint them with our water-based, low VOC lacquer and solvents that are very consumer and household-friendly.
Worried about lingering paint smells and breathing in hazardous paint fumes? Don’t be…with Booth7, you won’t have that problem. In fact, we’ve never had a single complaint about lingering paint smells.
We handle all the details of your project from start to finish, so you can trust you are in good hands! Plus, our high-quality paints will last longer than if you were to paint your cabinets on your own.
To get started on your home renovation or painting project, contact our cabinet painting experts in Vaughan today at email@example.com. Our staff will respond to your inquiry within a few hours. Have an idea of what you want your kitchen to look like? Send us a photo of your existing kitchen and get a free consultation and estimate today!